Application Forms and Fees

Full Plans Applications

A Full Plans application is used where detailed plans have been prepared. The plans will be thoroughly checked by us, for compliance with the Building Regulations. If we are satisfied that the plans comply, a notice of passing will be issued. Should further information or clarification be required we will contact you.

The plans need to show full constructional details of the proposed works. This requires a thorough working knowledge of the Building Regulations and construction in general. For this type of application you are advised to seek professional advice if you do not have this knowledge.

When submitting a Full Plans application the following should be included:

  • A completed Full Plans application form, along with the appropriate charge (see Quick links below). In the case of a new building or an extension, a location/block plan to a scale of 1:1250 is required
  • Two copies of the plans, (to a scale of not less than 1:100), which should include floor plans, elevations and sections of the existing and proposed works. Where the property is designated under the Fire Precautions Act an extra copy of the plans are required.

Download Full Plans Application forms from your local Council

Building Notices

The Building Notice procedure allows for building work to be carried out without the need to submit full plans.

Carrying out work without the benefit of plans being checked and approved by us, relies on the person doing the work being confident about their knowledge of the Building Regulations. We put greater emphasis on inspecting the work and it is likely that additional and/or more detailed inspections will be made.

A Building Notice is best suited to minor works and can only be used in connection with certain types of buildings, mainly domestic, if you are considering using this procedure for other building types please contact us for advice, prior to giving the notice.

When submitting a Building Notice the following should be included:

  • A completed Building Notice form, along with the appropriate charge and in the case of a new building or an extension, a location/block plan to a scale of 1:1250.

The charge payable is the sum of the plan and inspection charge, all of which is payable at the time the Building Notice is given.

Download Building Notice forms from your local Council

Exempt Buildings

Certain buildings are exempt from control under the Buildings Regulations. By completing an Exempt Buildings form it will enable you to provide details that will allow us to determine whether your proposed works are exempt from the Building Regulations.

Download Exempt Buildings forms from your local Council

  • Ashford Borough Council - Please phone 01233 330 275
  • Canterbury City Council - Now part of STG Building Control Partnership (see below)
  • Dartford Borough Council - Please phone 01322 343 434
  • Dover District Council
  • Maidstone Borough Council - Please phone 01622 602 000
  • Sevenoaks District Council
  • Folkestone & Hythe District Council - Please phone 01303 853 000
  • STG Building Control Partnership - includes Canterbury, Gravesham, Medway and Swale - Please call 01634 33 11 33
  • Thanet District Council - Please phone 01843 577 502
  • Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
  • Tunbridge Wells Borough Council - Please phone 01892 526 121

Regularisation Applications

If you have already carried out work to your property and were then advised that you needed approval, this is the application that needs to be used.

For any work carried out after 11 November 1985 it is possible to apply to us for a Regularisation Certificate. The application should include the application form, a plan of the unauthorised work and a application charge. This type of application is, however, exempt from VAT.

After acceptance of the application, we may require the applicant to take such steps as are necessary to ensure that the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations are met. These could include, opening up the unauthorised work for inspection, making tests or taking samples.

We will notify the applicant of any work that is required to be carried out to show compliance or if no work is required.

Should the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations be satisfied or if no work is required, we will issue a Regularisation Certificate.

Download Regularisation Application forms from your local Council

Demolition Notice

You do not need to submit a Building Regulation application to demolish a building. However, you are required to serve notice on the Council under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984, for certain buildings. The Council then has 6 weeks to serve a counter notice which will allow the work to proceed. To serve notice on the Council you should complete our 'demolition notice'.

Please note that Planning Permission may also be required to demolish certain buildings and you are advised to enquire further before commencing any demolition.

Download Demolition Notice forms from your local Council

Building Control Fees and Charges

Each Local Authority Building Control office sets its own fees, so please use the links below to determine the fee required with your application.

Download Fee and Charges tables from your local Council