Approved Document R - Physical infrastructure for high-speed electronic communications networks
This document covers the requirement to provide in-building physical infrastructure to new buildings and existing buildings that are subject to major renovation works. This is so future capability to deliver broadband speeds greater than 30 Mbps can be achieved.
PDF file: 295KB, 18 pages
2016 edition: Valid from 1 January 2017
R1 - In-building physical infrastructure
(1) Building work must be carried out so as to ensure that the building is equipped with a high-speed-ready in-building physical infrastructure, up to a network termination point for high-speed electronic communications networks.
(2) Where the work concerns a building containing more than one dwelling, the work must be carried out so as to ensure the building is equipped in addition with a common access point for high-speed electronic communications networks.
Limits on application
Requirement R1 applies to building work that consists of-
(a) the erection of a building; or (b) major renovation works to a building.
Quick links to other Approved Documents
The regulations cover all aspects of construction and are constantly reviewed. The guidance documents referred to as 'Approved Documents' contain practical ways and explanations of how to comply with the functional requirements of the Building Regulations.
These 'Approved Documents' are separated into 20 parts:
- Part A - Structure
- Part B (Volume 1) - Fire safety (Dwellings)
- Part B (Volume 2) - Fire safety (Buildings other than dwellings)
- Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
- Part D - Toxic substances
- Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound
- Part F - Ventilation
- Part G - Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
- Part H - Drainage and waste disposal
- Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Part K - Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Part L1A - Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings
- Part L1B - Conservation of fuel and power in existing dwellings
- Part L2A - Conservation of fuel and power in new buildings other than dwellings
- Part L2B - Conservation of fuel and power in existing buildings other than dwellings
- Part M (Volume 1) - Access to and use of buildings (Dwellings)
- Part M (Volume 2) - Access to and use of buildings (Buildings other than dwellings)
- Part P - Electrical safety - Dwellings
- Part Q - Security - Dwellings
- Part R - Physical infrastructure for high-speed electronic communications networks
- Regulation 7 - Materials and workmanship