Approved Document Q - Security - Dwellings
This part only applies to new dwellings and states that reasonable provision must be made to resist unauthorised access to any dwelling; and any part of a building from which access can be gained to a flat within the building.
The approved document sets out reasonable standards for doors and windows to resist physical attack by a casual or opportunist burglar, by being both sufficiently robust and fitted with appropriate hardware.
PDF file: 233KB, 20 pages
2015 edition: Valid from 1 October 2015
Q1 - Unauthorised access
Reasonable provision must be made to resist unauthorised access to:-
(a) Any dwelling; and
(b) Any part of a building from which access can be gained to a flat within the building.
Limits on application
Requirement Q1 applies only in relation to new dwellings.
Quick links to other Approved Documents
The regulations cover all aspects of construction and are constantly reviewed. The guidance documents referred to as 'Approved Documents' contain practical ways and explanations of how to comply with the functional requirements of the Building Regulations.
These 'Approved Documents' are separated into 20 parts:
- Part A - Structure
- Part B (Volume 1) - Fire safety (Dwellings)
- Part B (Volume 2) - Fire safety (Buildings other than dwellings)
- Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture
- Part D - Toxic substances
- Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound
- Part F - Ventilation
- Part G - Sanitation, hot water safety and water efficiency
- Part H - Drainage and waste disposal
- Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems
- Part K - Protection from falling, collision and impact
- Part L1A - Conservation of fuel and power in new dwellings
- Part L1B - Conservation of fuel and power in existing dwellings
- Part L2A - Conservation of fuel and power in new buildings other than dwellings
- Part L2B - Conservation of fuel and power in existing buildings other than dwellings
- Part M (Volume 1) - Access to and use of buildings (Dwellings)
- Part M (Volume 2) - Access to and use of buildings (Buildings other than dwellings)
- Part P - Electrical safety - Dwellings
- Part Q - Security - Dwellings
- Part R - Physical infrastructure for high-speed electronic communications networks
- Regulation 7 - Materials and workmanship