Welcome to Canterbury City Council Building Control

Canterbury City Council’s building control service has now joined the STG Building Control Partnership.

You should experience an improved level of service as we widen our pool of expert building control staff, and develop our technology to offer you the most efficient and professional service.

Contacting us

All customer service will be handled by STG Head Office in Rochester. Canterbury City Council will be the satellite office where building control surveyors will be based. The contact details below should be used from now on.

STG Building Control Partnership
Foord Annex, Eastgate House
High Street
Tel: 01634 33 11 33
Email: building@stgbc.org.uk

Frequently asked questions

I want to submit an application / paperwork:
Send via our website www.stgbc.org.uk
Online Application Submission (this requires pre-registration) is where you can submit, pay and track your application. The website also has a comprehensive Application Search enabling the review of any applications submitted and notifications under the competent person scheme.

If you do not use the website you can still post your information to our office address in Rochester (above), or if you leave them with reception at Canterbury City Council they will be sent via courier (at no cost to you) overnight to Rochester.

I want to book an inspection:
Email building@stgbc.org.uk or phone the office on 01634 33 11 33 to make an appointment.

I want to make a payment:
Use our online payment facility via our website www.stgbc.org.uk or phone our office on 01634 33 11 33

Information about STG Building Control Partnership

STG Building Control is a partnership providing services on behalf of four authorities in Kent: Canterbury, Gravesham, Medway and Swale. Our friendly helpful team of highly qualified Building Control Surveyors and administration officers provide impartial advice and assistance.

The partnership will ensure any building work is carried out in accordance with the building regulations. This is done by checking the plans and details submitted with an application and then inspecting the construction work as it progresses on site.

Our website www.stgbc.org.uk offers quick and easy 24/7 access to essential information and features an Online Application Submission (this requires pre-registration) where you can submit, pay and track your application. The website also has a comprehensive Application Search enabling the review of any applications submitted and notifications under the competent person scheme.

We also offer a range of linked services: SAP, EPC, DEC and SBEM as well as Stock Condition, Decent Homes and Fire Risk Assessment through STG Consultancy. For further information visit our consultancy website.

Reporting a Dangerous Structure – Outside Office Hours

The Building Control team are responsible for making sure that buildings and structures in the authorities area do not present a danger to people in or near them.

A structure might be dangerous as a result of vehicle impact, lightning strike, poor building works or neglect.

How to report a dangerous structure

We operate a service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you think that a building or structure is dangerous or unstable and may pose a threat to public safety please call us.

Contact us

  • During office hours - 01634 33 11 33 - Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.15pm or Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm. Weekends and bank holidays CLOSED.
  • Out of office hours - 01634 30 44 00 - This phone number covers the Canterbury, Gravesham, Medway and Swale areas.

We aim to arrive at the site within two hours of receiving a call, to assess the situation and decide on the best course of action.

Got a Question

Questions and answers

If you have a question, check out our Question and Answers

Our Services

Our services

We can help you with application advice, site inspection requests, demolitions or dangerous structures

Contact Us

Contact us

Contact us by phone, email or send us information in the post

Application Forms

Application forms

Full Plans, Building Notice, Exempt Buildings, Regularisations or Demolition Notices

Approved Documents

Approved documents

View all the Building Regulations online or download and print them for your records

Application Search

Search Building Regulations applications

Search for current and past information relating to your Building Control applications

Dangerous Structures

Dangerous structures

What is a dangerous structure and how to report one



If you intend to demolish the whole or part of a building, you may need to inform us

Video Guides

Video guides

These video guides are designed to help you through your home improvement project

Extending Your Home

Guide to extending your home

Guidance when you plan to extend your home

Latest News

Building Control news

For all the latest news on the Building Regulations

Planning Permission

Planning permission

Before carrying out building work check to see if you need planning permission