Part P - Electrical Work

Responsibilities as a homeowner

Did you know that it is your responsibility to ensure that any electrical installation in your home is either completed by an electrician registered with a competent persons' scheme, or checked by one?

Under Part P of the building regulations, DIY work and electrical installation work carried out by non-registered trades perople should be checked and certified. As the property owner, you're ultimately responsible for ensuring electrical work complies with the rules.

The regulations do not stop you doing your own work or using an unregistered tradesperson, but you still need to make a Building Regulations Application or have a member of an electrical competent persons’ scheme check it and issue the notice and certificate.

It's easier and safer if you use an electrician registered with a government-authorised competent persons' scheme because then you may not need to put in an application to your local authority, as they're authorised to do this.

The requirements in Approved Document P are as follows:

P1 - Design and installation
Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Limits on application
The requirements of this Part apply only to electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are:
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

Notifiable works are as follows:

12.—(6A) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—
(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.

—(9) In this regulation “special location” means—
(a) within a room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the space extends—
(i) vertically from the finished floor level to— (aa) a height of 2.25 metres; or
(bb) the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a point higher than 2.25 metres from that level; and
(ii) horizontally—
(aa) where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres; or
(bb) where there is no bath tub or shower tray, from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres; or
(b) a room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater.

Notifiable work in rooms containing a bath or shower

Useful links

  • Find a registered electrician - A register of electricians belonging to the various CPS schemes.
  • Electrical Safety First For general advice, guidance and information in easy to understand formats.
  • NICEIC - This website is provided so that checks can be carried out on NICEIC certified Part P electrical works. Searches can be carried out by address or notification number.

Quick links to further advice